Translate

Search This Blog

Wednesday 29 May 2013

Ponting wouldn’t say no to an Ashes call-up

When asked if he would consider an Ashes comeback , Former Australian captain Ricky Ponting told reporters, “You wouldn’t say no, would you, if that call came and I would never say never. But you have to say a call-up like that now is extremely unlikely.”



There is no question that Ponting’s decision to play on after giving up the captaincy was made with this Ashes tour in mind. But by the end of the home series against South Africa late last year, when he was embarrassed at his output of 32 runs in five innings, he knew that the time had come to retire, or risk a tap on the shoulder from the selectors.

“This was the series I was playing on for without a doubt,” Ponting said. “I felt Australia would have been a stronger side in this Ashes with both me and Mike Hussey in the side. The bottom line is I just wasn’t good enough any more to be part of this team. And I knew that

Hussey is missing due to different circumstances and I’m surprised he’s not here but I know how hard it can be to keep on touring with a young family. As for me, my time had just come. I knew it so I had to bow out against South Africa. It’s down to the young lads now.”

When asked about his English Counterparts, Ponting said:
England are a very good side, and they played exceptionally well against us in Australia last time. I must admit Alistair Cook surprised me in that series but I see he’s just got his 25th Test century and he’s proving a worthy successor as captain to Andrew Strauss. Joe Root looks a good young player, Jonny Bairstow has something about him and when Kevin Peterson is fit England will be getting a world-class player again. They are a quality side – but quality sides have been beaten in the past.”

No comments:

Post a Comment