Translate

Search This Blog

Friday 7 June 2013

Trott keen to expand his boundaries

Jonathan Trott accepts he must find "more boundary options" but is adamant that what matters most to him is helping England win matches.

South Africa-born number three Trott averages more than 50 in both Test and one-day international cricket
but has been criticised for slow scoring in the shorter format, with his ODI strike rate in the mid-70s.

Former England captain Michael Vaughan has accused Trott's critics of talking "nonsense" and the Warwickshire batsman did his best to make a case for himself during the recent 2-1 ODI series defeat by New Zealand, top-scoring in both matches lost and making an unbeaten hundred in Southampton.

Questions remain, however, over whether hosts England have the batting firepower to win the Champions Trophy ODI tournament, with their campaign to lift their first major trophy in the 50-over game starting against arch-rivals Australia at Trott's adopted home ground of Edgbaston on Saturday.

"Look, it's not about personal statistics," Trott told Wisden EXTRA. "It's about winning. It's all about the team winning.

"The thing that matters to me is that the team tend to win when I do well," he said.

"I feel confident in my ability to contribute for the team and I feel backed by the management. Alastair Cook (the England captain) and the coaches are clear about what my role is."

Asked what that role was, Trott replied: "To bat through and score as close as I can to a run a ball.

"There are times when it may seem I'm a bit behind the rate - but if I bat through, I won't be far away from that."

However, he added: "We all have to improve constantly, and I have to find more boundary options."

No comments:

Post a Comment